The most common synonyms are:
|Mechanism of action||
|Routes of administration||
Effects sought out by the userThe effects of synthetic cannabinoids often resemble those of marijuana, but are much stronger.
- Enhanced sensory perceptions
- Euphoria (high)
- Feeling of well-being
- Laughter (outbursts of laughter)
- Sense of calm and relaxation
Common toxic effectsDifficult to foresee due to the lack of information and the countless combinations possible.
- Anxiety, paranoia, panic attacks
- Dry mouth
- Excessive sweating
- Increased blood pressure
- Loss of short-term memory
- Nausea and vomiting
- Red eyes
- Shortness of breath
- Sleep disturbances
- Ataxia (lack of coordination)
- Respiratory depression
- Slurred speech
Effects associated with chronic useThe long-term effects on the body and central nervous system (brain) are largely unknown at this time. They can be felt after regular and prolonged use and can persist long after stopping.
- Cognitive disorders
- Onset or worsening of psychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia in those with a predisposition or prior history
- Respiratory tract irritation if the product is inhaled
Tolerance (need to increase the dose to feel the same effect)
Chronic use can lead to dependence.
Yes, symptoms are similar to those of marijuana:
- Insomnia and nightmares
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
Onset and duration of action
|Ingested||30 to 90 minutes||N/A||4 to 12 hours|
|Smoked||Instant||15 to 30 minutes||2 to 3 hours|
- Synthetic cannabinoids are difficult to detect in the blood after smoking them. The problem, when it comes to screening, stems from the fact that the combination of substances is constantly changing.
- No antidote available.
- Support: symptomatic treatment.
Many different street drugs are sold under the same name. Furthermore, nothing guarantees the quantity, purity or even the content of a street drug in spite of the fact that it may, in some cases, look like medication.
If you need help or want to learn more:
Partnership for a Drug-Free Canada.
© Copyright Vigilance Santé
The patient information leaflets are provided by Vigilance Santé Inc. This content is for information purposes only and does not in any manner whatsoever replace the opinion or advice of your health care professional. Always consult a health care professional before making a decision about your medication or treatment.