BETNESOL RECTAL, 0.05MG/ML, ENEMA
This medication contains a topical anti-inflammatory drug from the cortisone family (corticosteroid). Typically, it is used to treat ulcerative colitis. It requires several days to take effect.
How to use this medication
This enema is to be administered via the rectum. To use:
- lie on your left side, with your right knee bent;
- insert the lubricated nozzle of the enema applicator into your rectum, with the nozzle pointed towards your navel;
- squeeze the applicator until the entire dose is expelled, then withdraw the nozzle;
- remain lying in this position to retain the enema inside as long as possible.
This medication is typically used only once a day. However, your doctor or pharmacist may have suggested a different schedule that is more appropriate for you. Use it regularly and continuously to maintain its beneficial effects.
Important: Follow the instructions on the label. Do not use more of this product, or more often, than prescribed.
Possible side effects
In addition to its desired action, this medication may cause some side effects, notably:
- it may cause headaches;
- it may cause sleep disturbances or insomnia;
- it could cause water retention and swelling;
- it may cause unwanted hair growth;
- it may cause indigestion;
- it may cause nervousness or anxiety.
Each person may react differently to a treatment. If you think this medication may be causing side effects (including those described here, or others), talk to your doctor or pharmacist. He or she can help you to determine whether or not the medication is the source of the problem.
As with most medications, this product should be stored at room temperature. Store it in a secure location where it will not be exposed to excessive heat, moisture or direct sunlight. Keep it out of reach of young children. Make sure that any leftover portion is disposed of safely.
This medication may interact with other medications or supplements, sometimes significantly. Many interactions, however, may be dealt with by a dosage adjustment or a change in medication schedule. Check with your pharmacist before using this medication in combination with any other medications (including non-prescription products), vitamins or natural products.
It is important to tell the health professionals you consult:
- if you have a history of any other medical condition, whether you smoke and for women, if you are or want to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- if you have allergies to any medications or any other allergies (e.g. to food, latex, etc.);
- all medications you are taking, prescription and non-prescription, including vitamins and natural products and supplements.
This document contains useful information for those taking this medication. It is not intended, in any way, to replace the advice of a trained health professional. For more information, consult the manufacturer's literature, where you will find additional information about uncommon side effects as well as contraindications associated with this product.