What can my pharmacist do for me?
Your local Guardian, I.D.A. or Remedy’sRx pharmacist is a frontline healthcare professional that can help you with more than just your prescriptions. For a summary of all services available to you, visit our Pharmacy services section.
Your local pharmacist may also be able to*:
- Re-prescribe medication in certain cases, even if the original prescription is expired, such as medication for allergies, bladder infections, diaper rash, eczema, hemorrhoids, minor acne, menstrual pain, mouth ulcer, oral herpes, thrush and vaginal yeast infections.
- Prescribe medication for certain minor or urgent conditions: emergency oral contraception, lice, nausea and vomiting related to pregnancy, smoking cessation, traveler’s diarrhea, malaria and altitude sickness.
- Change the dosage, form, and quantity of a medication prescribed by your doctor.
- Test and assess blood glucose or cholesterol treatments.
- Conduct a formal medication review to ensure you are getting the most out of your treatment, that your medication is working properly for you and your lifestyle, and that it is covered by your insurance plan.
- Help you understand your medication, its side effects, and its possible interactions with food and other drugs or substances.
- Show you how to use specific methods of medication administration, such as needles or inhalers.
- Offer advice on over-the-counter medication.
- Collaborate with other healthcare professionals to optimize your treatment for better outcomes.
- Help determine if a health concern needs to be referred to another healthcare professional, such as a physician, therapist, dietician, or nurse.
*Services vary by pharmacy and province. Check with your local pharmacist for services available to you.
Your pharmacist, your best ally
Pharmacists play an important role in your overall health and can act as a main point of contact for your health concerns. They are accessible healthcare professionals, always ready to answer your questions and provide useful advice on your treatment or medication.
They are also the perfect bridge to connect you with any other healthcare professional if needed. That is why our our partnerships with GotoDoctor and Tia Health are all about convenience, offering virtual access to a doctor should your situation require it.
Using these telemedicine platforms will ensure that your doctor will be in discussion with your pharmacist about the best treatment for you, your needs, and your lifestyle.